Friday, July 18, 2014

Dappled With Sun


We harvested the garlic a week or two ago.  Every single head is big and beautiful.  This is stuff to be proud of.  We left it out to cure in the sun, not realizing that it can spoil if you do that for too long.  The heatwave kinda cooked some of the cloves.  I mourned for a night over the whole deal but today I used a head that was perfectly fine.  Why did I ever mourn over garlic anyway. Gardening is full of hidden lessons and life metaphors.  

Sawyer gets so sleepy. He still sleeps every 2-3 hours. He rubs his eyes in this really cute way.


Then he perks right up! Always rallying for a good time.

Hank the boy.  Dappled with sun.


The sunsets have been on fire. One night we got out of bed and leaned out the window to take some pictures.


Smiling eyes.


Dried flowers and leaves from plants outside to be made into sun tea.  I walk around so much with Sawyer.  If I can't get him to fall asleep I can always take him out for a walk.  He loves motion as most babies do.  This year I've been getting into collecting plants for tea.  The more I learn about it the more it seems that nearly every native plant is edible and a great medicine.  Sometimes I have to laugh at myself for filling my pockets with twigs and debris though.

Sunshine in the morning.  Queen Anne's Lace.  Reminds me of home and summer. Of fields and roadsides.  

Sometimes we wake up too early.  Like, 5:30 after a rough night.  There's always coffee.  Coffee saves tired lives.  I can't imagine life without it and I'm so serious about that.

Morning coffee walk. Dry field, green tree horizon, blue sky, moon dot.

Trellised cucumbers, climbing high.

S got a high chair.  He doesn't quite fit into it yet so he is a king in his throne.  May there be no hard surfaces.  And that is final.

Pasta shaped like backwards S.  Made some pasta with sautéed zucchini, fresh garlic, red walla walla onion, basil and parsley.  Grana padano.  We are kings, it's true.


Hanging diapers in the sun.


I tried to get Ramone to pose with The New Yorker.  To make it look like he was reading and that he earmarks interesting articles for me. I've always wished someone would do this for me.  But he wouldn't have it.  He is too honest.




No comments:

Post a Comment