Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Walk On

There is this woman who is obsessed with Hank. Twice she has pulled over and yelled after us because she needs to say hi to Hank.  Once she invited him over to her house any time he wants. Apparently she has an entire floor devoted to his species. Last week when she pulled over I continued walking. I was about 50 feet down the road from her but she insisted we turn around and say hello.  Sawyer had just fallen asleep so I tried to mime that he was sleeping and I had to keep going.  She yells, "What is that in there?!" I replied, "A baby." "Oh, okay then." She says.  Okay then. Again, she pulled over a few days ago to tell us we are "The walkiest people she knows".  This might be true.  

We went to Seattle to visit Seamus and Liz and pretty much ended up walking the entire time.  If we aren't in our normal routine, walking is a surefire way to get the baby to sleep. If we are in our normal routine, we find ourselves walking anyway. I also think it helps me to stay awake.  If I was stationary I might just fall over. Although sometimes we fantasize about the stroller being big enough for a baby and an adult. I also wish there were way more roadside food stands around here.  Like, any. Particularly ones that sell sweet & savory hand pies. 



In between walks, Liz made us the most delicious Bahn Mi sandwiches I have ever had. Included inside was almond chili paste, sautéed shittake mushrooms, cilantro, mint, tofu, greens, pickled radish and carrots.  I could eat one everyday.  I ate two.  I could eat two everyday. She buys the buns at a vietnamese bakery.  They often see older vietnamese shoppers hauling garbage bags full of buns. That might be me in the near future. They are that good. They also make these sesame breads.  Perfectly chewy and at the very same time soft inside.  They remind me of a bagel in stick shape.  Paired with a coconut La Croix is a pretty perfect snack.  












An old building with a hand painted sign always stirs me up.  I think, we could buy this and open a business!  Or several businesses!  We'd hardly have to fix it up at all! I like it just the way it is! We could have a family business with lots of different services! A wood shop, a bakery, a sewing machine set up in the corner and we could sell stuff in the front, a mini apothecary station, probably some coffee.  I get a little delusional.

We found this old photo of my mom in a photo album.  Taken in 1978 holding Seamus at 6 months old in front of their old volvo. 

I guess someday we will look back on days like these with the same fondness. Days where we walk for eight miles without wondering where or why, stopping for ice cream instead of dinner, not looking at ferry schedules or phones, and eating perfect sandwiches. I wonder if these will always be the days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment