Sunday, August 17, 2014

The dog days are back.

Early in the season my dad said "You never think you'll have enough cucumbers until you have too many." He was correct.  I am living his wisdom.



Dean and I made a promise to each other we would make a blackberry crisp every week until there were no berries left to pick.  So far we've kept our promise.

My ma had a birthday and her friend Kitty came to help celebrate and they seared up some mean scallops.  We laughed a lot.

Seamus brought over his famous bread salad.  It's my mom's recipe. He inherited her bread salad skills. Now that we are adults bread salad means more than just bread and dressing. It used to be my birthday dinner every year. Also crab.

I made an ice box cake.  This was a popular cake in the 20s and 30s but I don't know anyone who has ever eaten them.  Maybe because they were popular almost 100 years ago?  The cake consists of layers of "Famous Chocolate Wafers" and whipped cream.  Chill the cake overnight and the cookies transform into cake. The end product tastes like cookies and cream ice cream or an ice cream sandwich, but cake form.  I used this recipe and listened to this.















Dean had a birthday and we celebrated.  Mostly I made a lot of delicious foods.  I think this the main way I show my love. I caught Dean and Sawyer having a dance party.




The dog days. They are back.

No comments:

Post a Comment