Saturday, August 2, 2014

Listen Up!

I love a good interview.  The right person can draw interest out of nearly anyone.  Terry Gross, Ira Glass, Marc Maron..  I value a good listener.  I think, no matter how humble or shy, everyone wants to be heard. Asking good questions is really hard to do.  It's a skill. It's a learned skill.  Something I am constantly working on and trying to get better at. You have to listen to ask good questions. People aren't born good listeners. Some people never learn. 

I have a new hero.  Anna Sale.  She is the host of a new podcast, Death, Sex and Money.  She asks the right questions.  I've listened to every single one.  Each one is a little gem.  I especially enjoyed the interview with Jane Fonda and the The Senator One. The episode "I Married The Gay Father of my Child" inspired me to continue expanding my idea of 'family' and to be open to endless variations. Life is weird and hard and unfortunately we live in a culture where the norm is to raise our babies somewhat alone. Hopefully this is shifting. 


On a completely different note, I love:

this article on Goodnight Moon


and

this roasted cauliflower dish


(The photo above was taken 4 years ago in Woodard Bay near Olympia. The year that Dean and I shot 10 rolls of kodachrome film before the world stopped processing it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment