Thursday, January 22, 2015

Through and True: This is January



Inspired by my dad and by a new friend, I am going to give sourdough bread making another go. I've never had regular success and I think this is because I'm typically inconsistent.  To be honest, I'm a little haphazard in the kitchen. (And elsewhere in my life.) I'd like to think I am a wise old grandma, the kind who never measures, makes things on a whim, laughing and with one eye shut. And that somehow it always turns out.

"How do you do it, make-believe-grandma?"
"Well, I've been alive for 85 years, that's how."
"Oh, I've only been here 30."
"You got some time, kid."
"Ya, guess your right."





Deschutes Falls.  You know how you never do the touristy things in your town until someone comes to visit.  And then you think, man, why don't I always come here.  That is how I felt about Deschutes Falls.  The river was roaring and we were all mesmerized by the rushing water.  It felt so wild through all the manmade (people-made) constructions.  There is a nice little native plant garden and all the plants are labeled.  I love that kind of thing.  Little magical pools of water cascade down an embankment surrounded by delicate and perfectly secured ferns.  Sawyer liked to run his hand against their dewy tips.  The sun was beaming and the mossy dripping world felt bright and new.





January is a special birthday month.  Sawyer and Felix and Olivia.  Three very good names and three very important people to me.  Happy Birthday, you guys.




Priest Point Park.  Second home these days.  Damp woods and lime green moss, barnacle heavy beach lined with Madrones reaching branches to the sound. Fill our lungs with clean air.

2 comments:

  1. I love everything you write and I especially love your little paintings, so charming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ivy! One of those little paintings is for you, by the way.

    ReplyDelete